Main Building ED 210/212
P, AAFP, PA, NP, N, D, PH (1 hour)
This session will review the most common medical considerations you should be aware of before traveling on a short-term medical mission trip. I will review common malaria prophylaxis medications, immunizations, treatment of traveler’s diarrhea as well as other tips and tricks to know. This session is ideal for those with minimal international travel experience.
1) Discuss the pathophysiology and clinical course of common conditions occurring with travel medicine
2) Compare and contrast the rationale for the use of certain drugs in travel medicine
3) Develop a care plan for the prophylactic treatment of tropical diseases
4) Design an appropriate plan for monitoring safe and effective pharmacotherapy of tropical diseases
5) Formulate a plan to provide patient counseling for disease states and medications common for travel medicine