Healthcare Missions Preparation Roadmap
High school students developing a heart for healthcare missions
Pre-med and all other
Medical school and all other advanced healthcare education
All certified healthcare professionals, residents, fellows, etc.
Develop a heart for healthcare missions...
You can be preparing your heart and mind for healthcare missions. Start by finding the right school, meet a missionary, and do some reading!
- Find a mentor in your local community who is engaged in short term healthcare missions
- Take a short term trip domestically with your church to start building your local awareness
- Develop your personal prayer and devotion life with Christ
- Get to know a missionary through Facebook or email and start asking questions
- Send a missionary a care package to help encourage them on the field
- Volunteer with the missions group at your local church
- Take a month long commitment to pray for a missionary, a ministry, or a country
- Contribute monthly to a missionary's support
- Talk to your friends about missions and do something together
- Read a biography about a missionary
- Read Don't Waste your Life by John Piper
- Read Knowing God by J.I. Packer
- Read Radical by David Platt
- Read Shadow of the Almighty by Elizabeth Elliot
- Learn to share your story and your testimony
Find Opportunities to Serve in this Stage of Preparation: High School
You're on your way...
Now is the time to get intentional about developing habits and relationships that will help prepare you for healthcare missions.
- Build a strong personal prayer and devotional lifestyle and habit
- Pray through Operation World
- Join or form a group of like-minded students with a heart for missions
- Volunteer with a local churches missions program or a local missions organization
- Be intentional about avoiding debt
- Complete Perspectives
- Participate in a short-term trip over summer break
- Pray through God's call for you in being married and pray for your future spouse
- Practice sharing your faith and serving in the local community
- Attend Urbana, Passion, GMHC, and other conferences
- Visit www.askamissionary.com to work through specific questions about missions
- Read God's Passion for His Glory by John Piper
- Read End of the Spear by Steve Saint
- Read Living Stones of the Himalayas by Thomas Hale
- Read Missionary Surgeon in Changing Times by Rebekah Ann Naylor, MD
- Read When Helping Hurts by Brian Fikkert
Find Opportunities to Serve in this Stage of Preparation: Undergraduate
Further your potential...
Now is the time to specialize and set the groundwork for working in healthcare missions. Get involved in local clinics, go on short-term trips, and beginning disciplining someone younger.
- Maintain strong prayer and devotional life and help disciple a high school student's devotional life
- Set other habits of disciplining someone younger interested in missions
- Consider a summer-long internship in some type of healthcare missions
- Continue praying through where God would have you serve
- Develop friendships with missionaries on the field to help you navigate your calling
- Volunteer in a local domestic healthcare clinic
- Work through The Truth Project by Del Tackett to invest in your perspective of worldview
- Complete Perspectives if you haven't already
- Sign up for CMDA's Center for Medical Missions monthly Your Call e-newsletter
- Participate in a CMDA, NCF, or MCO campus group
- Read Miracle at Tenwek by Gregg Lewis
- Read On Call by David Thompson, MD
- Read The Call by Os Guiness
- Attend the annual CCHF and GMHC conference
Find Opportunities to Serve in this Stage of Preparation: Grad School
Lead the way...
Continue to learn, connect, and grow. Find ways that you can serve and lead the way for the future of healthcare missions.
- Disciple others in their prayer and devotional life
- Pray through who the Lord would have you personally invest in and disciple
- Support missions through your church and support of a missionary
- Organize monthly prayer groups for healthcare missions and local awareness
- Participate in CMDA's local groups and membership
- Attend the annual CCHF and GMHC conferences
- Research missions sending agencies
- Take a leadership role in your church or help lead a missions trip
- Find continued education courses that focus on the underserved
- Participate in CMDA's pre-field orientation course Completing Your
- Volunteer in a local healthcare clinic
- Complete Perspectives
- Read Jesus MD by Dave Stevens, MD
- Read Preach and Heal by Charles Fielding, MD
- Take courses on personal finance, marriage, etc.
Find Opportunities to Serve in this Stage of Preparation: Post Graduate
Get Connected with a Local CMDA Group
- A. University Of Medicine And Dentistry Of New Jersey - Robert Wood Johnson Med Sch
- B. University Of Medicine And Dentistry Of New Jersey- Dental School
- C. University Of Medicine And Dentistry Of New Jersey - New Jersey Medical School
- D. Columbia University College Of Dental Medicine
- E. Columbia University College Of Physicians & Surgeons