Director of Behavioral Health and Social Services
- $75,000 - $99,000
Published: 2020-11-13 18:35:53Z
Position Summary: The Director of Behavioral Health and Social Services (BH/SS Director) leads the behavioral health and social services teams to facilitate fully-integrated care that meets patients’ physical, behavioral, and social needs within the Latino and underserved communities of Philadelphia. The position is multi-faceted and includes establishing and meeting clinical benchmarks for quality care and productivity, ensuring proper care is provided in accordance with program contracts and goals. The behavioral health team provides integrated behavioral health services within Esperanza’s holistic primary care model using evidence-based treatment modalities. The BH/SS Director also supervises Social Services, focusing on patients’ social needs to prevent barriers to care. The BH/SS Director is also a clinical practitioner, responsible for patient care within Esperanza’s integrated care model. This position reports directly to the Executive Director and works closely with clinical, department, and administrative staff throughout the Health Center.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Behavioral Health Department management:
- Responsible for program development and oversight of Esperanza’s behavioral health program and the program’s integration with primary care and other enabling services, including social services and community health and wellness programs.
- Develop collaborative relationships and referral agreements with community mental health providers; monitor patient service quality and progress for referred patients.
- Supervise the work of all behavioral health staff through individual bi-weekly meetings and/or documentation review and monthly departmental meetings.
- Train behavioral health and clinical staff on integrating holistic care into primary care visits; provide ongoing training on the relationship of psychopathology and physical illness.
- Provide in-house developmental training for staff on self care, patient communication, and other topics as needed; identify appropriate external trainings to develop staff skill in effective use of evidence-based treatment modalities.
- Responsible for development and management of departmental budget; both revenue (productivity) and expenditures
- Provide support for the development of grant funding applications and required reporting for awarded grants.
- Provide behavioral health services to patients:
- Works as part of the primary health care team, providing services for patients in the exam room and patient care hubs using evidence-based treatment modalities.
- Appropriately documents each patient visit in EMR, including subjective and objective data, assessments, treatment plan and other documentation as necessary. Maintains compliance with all agency policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates appropriate clinical judgment in assessment and treatment, following established clinical care guidelines; provides appropriate referrals to outside agencies as indicated.
- Effectively communicates with and educates patients regarding self-care; supports and facilitates patient goal-setting.
- Responds quickly to urgent/emergent needs.
- Management of Social Services department:
- Oversees program development of Social Services, consistent with Esperanza mission and vision to provide holistic services to patients and in coordination with other departments.
- Provides weekly supervision to the Social Services Supervisor.
- Supports the Social Services Supervisor in development and management of the grant applications and reporting, and oversight of revenue and expense budgets.
Education, Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Social Work or doctoral degree in Psychology.
- Licensed in Pennsylvania in Clinical Social Work (LCSW) or Psychology (PsyD)
- Post licensure, 2 or more years of experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills; bilingual in Spanish and English required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of trauma-informed care and providing culturally competent care; previous experience in an integrated behavioral health setting preferred.
- Proficient computer skills; experience in electronic medical records preferred.
- Proven management and solid interpersonal skills, including the ability to deal with patients and staff effectively in high-stress situations. Works in harmonious partnership with health center staff to further Esperanza’s
- and vision, to accomplish common goals and objectives.
- Supports the Esperanza mission and vision; favorably represents Christ and His mission at Esperanza within and outside the Health Center.